May 11, 2010

A Quick Look at Lucid

Alright, it's that time again! A new version of Ubuntu has been recently released, and I'm going to do a quick write-up about it.

I just installed it today and have been using it a bit to see how things go.

First thing to note is the new look. While I don't like the purple splash screen (purple isn't really my colour) I think everything else looks really good. Everything looks much more slick than before. I'm not really sure why they moved the window controls to the top-left corner to the top-right, but meh. If you want to change it back to the top-right, it's not hard.
The only issue with the new colour scheme is the interaction with Firefox's autocomplete - when you start typing a URL, I find that the drop-down that comes out is a bit difficult to read since it is a dark background and light writing on top of a white screen. I'd prefer a white background with dark writing, but that's just me.

Rhythmbox updates - I don't really like the new system-tray interface. I prefer the old one where you left-click and it opens the Rhythmbox window, and right-click gives you the context menu. Now it is left-click to get a context menu, and right-click doesn't do anything. My main problem is the inconsistency (right-click is context menu for everything else still) and that it now requires two clicks to do something that I do all the time. A little detail, but something that bugs me - I love efficiency.
Also the music toolbar applet (now known as Panflute) appears to be gone, which is a bit disappointing.
Finally, I think the Ubuntu Music Store is a good initiative, but I don't really have any other comments about it.

Other than that, I'm happy that it seems to be fast and stable. Good job Ubuntu devs!

No comments: