Apr 13, 2010

Mac Fonts in Ubuntu

Back when I was working with a bunch of Mac guys, they would always complain about looking at my screen because the fonts were bad. I do believe in the importance of aesthetics, so I decided to just put the same ones they had on my computer. You can get this fairly easily, just open Applications->Accessories->Terminal and copy-paste this:
wget http://ubuntu-debs.googlecode.com/files/macfonts.tar.gz
tar zxvf macfonts.tar.gz
sudo mv macfonts /usr/share/fonts/
sudo fc-cache -f -v
One issue with this is that it messes up how Firefox renders input tags. Supposedly this is because the Lucida Grande font included in this macfonts bundle are not correct, so you can get the real ones here. Just download the file there, and put the font files into your /usr/share/fonts/macfonts folder and all will be well!

No comments: