Apr 30, 2010

Book Review: How to Lie with Statistics

I've recently just finished reading a book called "How To Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff. The name says it all, it is a book that talks about a lot of the basic misconceptions that people have about statistics, and how some content writers will abuse those misconceptions (knowingly or unknowingly) in order to get a message across.

It was published quite some time ago (1954) but it is still quite relevant. While statistics has advanced a fair amount in that time (well I'm not sure about statistics itself, I assume it has, I know that econometrics has) the way people perceive basic statistics hasn't changed all that much.

So anyway, if you have been reading my statistics posts and like them, I recommend you check this book out. It's not quite as technical as the stuff I've been posting - which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you look at it - so it is a nice and easy read while you're on the bus or metro/subway. Oh, and there are lots of pictures, which are sometimes kinda funny and usually quite helpful.

No comments: