Nov 10, 2007

The First One

So I have the first entry on this new blog. Let me get started with a little introduction. This blog is about my experiences with this "new" Linux distribution, Ubuntu. It is a version of Linux that claims to be "Linux for human beings" and attempts to get rid of the normal nightmare of using Linux on a desktop.

I am a Computer Science graduate who has been using Linux for several years (since Mandrake 9, which came out in 2002 I believe). Since then I've tried a number of distributions: Fedora, Gentoo, openSUSE.

Let's get something straight. I am not a Linux geek. I hate command-line, or messing with configuration files. I'm a firm believer in the "it just works" philosophy. To solve any problem should not require hacking the system. Windows and Mac have proven that a computer is completely usable without having to worry about command line or config files and all that garbage. I like Ubuntu because they are basically the only Linux people who understand that there are people out there who do not like all this hacking.

I started using Linux as a primary operating system with Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy". Shortly after, Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" was released and I switched to that. It was an excellent improvement, all my main hardware worked out of the box (only thing that didn't was the microphone on my webcam, but whatever). Overall I was really impressed with it and did not look back to Windows.

Now I'm with Gutsy and am having some issues. It seems I'm going back to wrestling with the computer to get things working. Last I checked, I was the owner of the computer and not the other way around. So where did they go wrong? Stay tuned for more entries on the subject.

No comments: